This traditional lemon & passionfruit butter tastes like nostalgia- and don’t we all love a bit of that?! Many of us remember our grandmothers making these sorts of spreads, and there’s no reason not to continue the tradition. And don’t think that there’s magic or trickery involved because Nana made it- it’s really very simple!
One important point to remember when making any jams or spreads- you should always sterilise your jars before using them. This is important because it prevents contamination and lengthens the shelf life of your homemade goodies. You can sterilise jars in boiling water or in the microwave, but I find using the oven is easiest. First, preheat the oven to 120C. Then stand the jars upright, and place them on a baking tray. Put the lids on this tray too. Make sure none of the pieces are touching each other. Heat everything in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the jars and fill them while hot.
Here’s my step-by-step guide to making traditional lemon and passionfruit butter.
Start by sterilising your jars and lids. Wash them with hot soapy water first, then place them on a baking tray in a 110C oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, gather your ingredients & put a saucepan of water on the stove to simmer.
Zest one of the lemons, then juice all three.
Once the water in your saucepan is simmering gently, sit a heatproof bowl on top of it. Put the eggs and sugar in it and whisk until combined. Then gradually add the butter, passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, lemon zest and water. Make sure to maintain a gentle simmer in the saucepan; if the heat is too high it can ruin your recipe.
Continue whisking the mixture gently but continuously until it has visibly thickened (10-15 minutes). This will be almost as thick as it is when serving, so make sure this consistency suits you before you take it off the heat. Pour into warm sterilised jars and put the lids on. And you’re done- that’s how easy it is!
Serve on cake, toast, pancakes…whatever you like!
Traditional Lemon & Passionfruit Butter
- 1 double boiler or saucepan + bowl
- 1 whisk
- 2 lidded jars
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 125 grams butter, chopped
- 6 passionfruit, pulped
- 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup water
- Sterilise jars by washing them first with hot soapy water then heating them in a 110C oven for 2minutes. Stand jars upright in the oven & heat the lids too.
- Heat a saucepan of water (or base of double boiler) to a gentle simmer. Be careful never to let this water run out or boil. Place the egg & sugar mixture over this and whisk until combined.
- Finely zest one of the lemons. Juice the 3 lemons.
- Gradually add the butter, passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, lemon zest and water to the bowl.
- Whisk over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens & coats the back of a spoon. Make sure to maintain a gentle temperature & even heat so that the butter doesn't boil.
- Pour the mixture into warm, sterilised jars & seal them straight away.
- This lemon & passionfruit butter will keep for 2 months if stored in a cool place. Refrigerate after opening.