Phad Thai (Thai style fried noodles)
- 70-100 grams thin rice noodles
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil peanut or canola is good
- 1 tsp red shallot chopped
- 10 grams firm tofu diced
- 20 grams pork or chicken cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp dried prawns (shrimp)
- 3 tsp salted chinese radish
- 1 egg
- 50 grams garlic chives cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts optional
- 1 wedge lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar ordinary sugar is fine if you don't have palm sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Soak rice noodles in water until soft and drain.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat and fry the shallots with a pinch of roasted chilli powder until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Add meat and stir until cooked through.
- Then add bean curd, dried shrimp, Chinese radish and stir fry briefly before pushing it to the side of the wok to make room for noodles.
- Add rice noodles and toss/stir well then add sugar, fish sauce and tamarind with a little water – stir well.
- Break in the egg and stir through until done then add the chives and bean sprouts and stir everything together only for about 30 – 60 seconds (add a little more oil if necessary to moisten it up).
- Transfer to serving dish with roasted peanuts, chilli powder, and lime wedge on the side (you can also simply sprinkle the peanuts over if you wish).