Basic tomato sauce preserve
- 5 kilograms tomatoes
- 7 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 200 grams sugar
- 300 ml plain white vinegar
- 3.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Wash tomatoes then chop them roughly (a quick whiz in a food processor saves time) and place in a large pot along with all the other ingredients.
- Bring mix to boil then simmer for about 3 hours until the mixture reduces and breaks down into a thick mush.
- Strain the mix through a sieve (with medium sized holes) or food mill so the seeds and skin gets caught but most of the pulp goes through.
- Place the strained sauce back on the stove and continue to simmer until it reduces down and thickens to the desired consistency.
- Pour into sterilised jars or bottles while still hot.
- Can be eaten right away but will improve with maturity after storage for about 6 months.