This year I had the honor of getting the whopping amount of one pumpkin on my pumpkin plant! Luckily I had another plant, but same story, just the one pumpkin.
I don’t know what happend, but apparently my pumpkins just didn’t want to produce more than one per plant.
Nevertheless, I was glad to have them and I have made 2 delicious dishes with them. One savoury (this one) and one sweet (Pumpkin Semifreddo, which you can find here). This one is more of a peasant dish and the semifreddo is a bit more fancy, but only if you plate it as such.
I also had some beetroot that I needed to make a dish with. And since I love the combination of beetroot (beets) and pumpkin, I quickly knew what I wanted to make for dinner that night.
This recipe is vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan by omitting the feta cheese, or choose a vegan alternative that you like. We eat this as our dinner, so as a main dish. But it’s so versatile you can also eat it as a side dish or a lunch. It keeps well & can be eaten hot or cold the next day.
So lets get in the kitchen and make this roasted pumpkin and beetroot dish!
Roasted Pumpkin and Beetroot
- Cutting board
- Baking dish
- 5 Beetroot (beets)
- 1 Pumpkin
- 200-300 grams Feta cheese or vegan alternative of your choice (use more if you want to make dinner for 4 people)
- 1-2 TBsp Olive oil
- 1 TBsp Thyme to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 TBsp Feta liquid (the pickling fluid)
- 1 Paprika/bell pepper (only use when you want to make dinner for 4 people)
- 1-2 Onions (only use when you want to make dinner for 4 people)
- 200 grams Mushrooms (only use when you want to make dinner for 4 people)
- Pre heat the oven at 200 degrees celsius, convection
- Clean the beetroot and slice about 0.5cm thick (the thinner, the faster it will cook)Put the beetroot slices into an oven dish and sprinkle with olive oil and salt and put in the oven until they are almost done (around 20-30 minutes)
- Clean the pumpkin, cut into pieces and put on top of the beetroot slices **Back into the oven until they are almost done (around 20 minutes)
- Cut the feta into cubes and put on top of the pumpkin pieces. Also sprinkle some thyme and the feta liquid over everything and put back into the oven for about 10 minutes
- Put it on the plate and enjoy!
I have so many pumpkins growing out of control! This recipe will help heaps because I’m always looking for new ways to use our neverending pumpkin harvest… Thank you 🙂
You are very welcome! Maybe you can try the Pumpkin Semifreddo as well and let all of us know what you think 😀