This grilled antipasto eggplant recipe is easy to make, full of flavour and a great way to preserve a glut of eggplants.
Preserved Grilled Eggplant Antipasto
- jar for storing
- 2 eggplants medium to large
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 tbsp garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp vinegar red/white/as you like
- 1/2 tsp salt not required if salting is done
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch (4 ml) wide pieces
- Salting (optional – see notes below) – You can lay the sliced eggplant out and then sprinkle salt over liberally. Leave for about 20 minutes and then rinse off with water, pat dry with paper towel (kitchen roll) before grilling.
- Dry grill slices (without oil) on both sides until flesh is charred; soft but still firm and not mushy.
- Whilst grilling eggplant, make the marinade by combining the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together well.
- Add the grilled eggplant whilst it is still warm into the marinade and gently fold, submerging most of the eggplant slices under as possible. Add more oil if needed or make up more marinade if necessary.
- Leave to cool and then place in fridge as the preserved eggplant is best left to marinate for at least 24 hrs before eating.
- Preserved eggplant like this will last several weeks and even months in the fridge but it usually will get eaten too fast to worry about it deteriorating.