This recipe is nutrient dense with spinach goodness!
You can use a lot of it in one dish and you can use all types of spinach for this recipe.
Of course this recipe is healthy, easy and, depending on the pasta and type of cheese you use, it can be vegan and glutenfree as well.
I chose gnocci, but you can choose any pasta you like. The same goes for the type of spinach. I used the 438 grams of just harvested New Zealand Spinach, but any other type is just as good!
You can eat this as a main course, as a nice lunch or even as a side dish. The choice is yours
Spinach sauce with pasta
- frying pan
- 438 to 450 grams Spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 (red) onions
- 100 grams Pecorino (or other hard cheese) Grated
- Pasta of choice (I chose gnocci) in the amount you like
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Buttermilk or oatmilk
- Cook your chosen pasta as per instruction on the package
- Cut the onions and garlic into pieces and bake them in some olive oil until just colored
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted down (if it doesn't fit into your frying pan in one go, just devide it into batches and cook per batch until wilted)
- Put everything in the blender and add just enough buttermilk or oatmilk so it can blend. Don't put in to much milk at this stage because it will get to watery. So make sure you make it on the thicker side, as you can always add liquid, but you can not take it out.After everything is blended, you still feel the sauce is to thick, just add 2 tablespoons more milk at a time and blend, untill you like the consistency
- Pour the spinach sauce back into the pan and add about 75 grams of the grated cheese and salt to taste.
- Place the cooked pasta in the pan with the sauce and stir until combined and scoop onto plates
- Add the remaining cheese on top and enjoy!
Just cut the amount of your choice (i would go for one big one) into slices and bake them in some olive oil and stir them through the sauce.