There’s nothing better than a low-calorie, quick, one-pot soup for a weeknight dinner…& it’s even better when you can pick most of the ingredients from your own backyard!
Blessed with a big crop of leeks that were ready for harvest, I devised this hearty, filling soup that is super-simple and quick to make. A perfect recipe that will feed the whole family, it’s ideal for ‘school nights’ and chilly evenings. Gentle and tasty at the same time, it combines the goodness of green vegetables & nutritious home-made stock with top notes of cheese and lemon.
Vegetable or chicken stock will both work in this recipe; use whichever you prefer. I feel like home-made stock tastes better (& we know it’s more nutritious), so I used some that I had stashed in the freezer. If you don’t have home-made, powdered stock and water is a good substitute. Just like any good winter soup, this leek and black bean soup with parmesan is complemented perfectly by crusty or garlic bread.
Here’s How to Make It
Cut off most of the green parts of the leeks, slice them vertically then wash any dirt out. Then slice them horizontally, ready for cooking.
Warm the oil and butter together in a large soup pot over low-medium heat. Meanwhile, finely chop the fresh rosemary, drain and rinse a tin of beans, and grate the cheese.
Once the oil is warm, add the leeks, rosemary and garlic to the pot and mix well. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring continually, until the leeks have softened. Make sure not to burn or brown the leeks.
Add the stock to the pot and bring to the boil. Add the beans and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, chop the spinach into strips. Turn off the heat, then add the spinach and most of the cheese- keep enough aside for garnishing. Season to taste (I added a teaspoon each of salt & pepper). Mix well.
Serve & enjoy!
Leek & Black Bean Soup
- 1 soup pot
- 4 leeks
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 grams rosemary leaves, finely chopped use 2 sprigs
- 1.25 litres stock vegetable or chicken
- 425 gram tin of black beans rinsed
- 80 grams spinach, chopped
- 1 lemon, halved
- 50 grams parmesan cheese, grated finely
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Chop off the dark green parts of the leeks, as you only need the white & pale green parts for this recipe. Cut each leek vertically, then wash each half thoroughly under running water. Slice the leeks horizontally, ready for cooking.
- In a large soup pot, warm the olive oil and butter together over low-medium heat. Meanwhile, chop the rosemary, drain and rinse the beans, and grate the cheese.
- Once the oil is warm, add the leeks, garlic and rosemary, and cook, stirring continually, for 15-20 minutes or until everything has softened.
- Add the stock to the pot & bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the beans and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, then add the spinach and stir through so that the leaves wilt. Add most of the grated parmesan and stir it through. Season to taste.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls. Squeeze the lemon halves over each bowl & add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.