The taste and texture of these pumpkin, rosemary & poppy seed cake bites strike a perfect balance.
Think swoon-worthy sweet pumpkin pie with a light crunch from the poppy seeds. Think perfectly moist cake that’s as easy to eat as a biscuit…they’re all that and more. Naturally, freshly-picked organic, home-grown ingredients give the best flavour. And if you have a typical triffid-like pumpkin vine (like mine!) then the more pumpkin recipes, the better!
Easy to make and a delight to serve, these cake bites are sure to please visitors and family alike. They’ll keep perfectly well in an airtight container for up to 5 days, so are ideal for lunches or snacks on the go.
Here’s How to Make Them
Steam or boil the pumpkin, then set it aside to drain and cool. Once cooled, push it through a fine sieve into a clean mixing bowl.
Chop the rosemary finely, then sift the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt) into a separate mixing bowl.
Mix the pumpkin, oil, sugar and vanilla together until a smooth paste is formed.
Add the seeds and the rosemary to the pumpkin mixture and combine well. Finally, mix the wet & dry ingredients together. Drop spoonfuls on to a lined baking tray, as above. Bake for 25 mins on 160C. The cake bites are cooked when a skewer comes out clean.
Once cooked, place the cake bites a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
Pumpkin, Rosemary & Poppy Seed Cake Bites
- 1 saucepan or steamer for pre-cooking pumpkin
- 1 Oven
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 1 flat baking tray
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger, powdered
- 1 cup pumpkin, cooked
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds can be substituted with chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Chop and peel the pumpkin, then boil or steam it. Drain & set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, press it through a fine sieve. This step is optional, but it makes for a better final consistency.
- Preheat oven to 160c (320F).
- Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and spray lightly with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, cooked pumpkin, oil and vanilla together.
- Add the rosemary and the seeds to the pumpkin mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift all the dry ingredients in together.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture & combine well.
- Drop spoonfuls on to the tray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.