This potato salad is so simple and easy to make, I love it. It is also very adaptable, so you can vary the ingredients according to your own taste & what you have on hand. Keep it simple or jazz it up; the choice is yours.
The potato salad recipe below is a basic one that you can modify. It is good as is, but you can add anything you like to adapt it to your own taste and mood. We like to eat this as shown below, but we also like to add things like sauerkraut, chopped spinach leaves, tomatoes and/or chives. Try things out and experiment, it is so much fun!
This dish is vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan by omitting the eggs and using vegan mayo.
It is pretty filling so you can eat this as a main course, dinner or lunch. Naturally it is fabulous as a side or accompaniment at a barbecue on long summer days.
You can make this potato salad in advance; the flavours will develop overnight and you have less to do on the day of a barbecue or dinner party. So you can spend more time with your guests.
On that note, let’s get into the kitchen and make this dish!
My potatoes were not ready yet, so i had to use store bought potatoes. Oh well, you can’t have everything, right?
I also added in the last of the peas. I didn’t have a lot, but they were a very nice addition nonetheless.
Gather the ingredients and start cooking the potatoes and eggs (I used the same pan). In the meantime, shell the peas and add those to the pan a few minutes before the potatoes are ready.
Make the sauce, peel the bouncy hardboiled eggs and mash them with a fork.
Cut up the potatoes into pieces, add everything to the bowl then mix together gently.
And just like that, you have made this simple and easy potato salad, enjoy!
- Cutting board
- cooking pan
- 1 kg potatoes
- 8-10 eggs (omit if making vegan version)
- 6-10 small gherkins
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 large tbsp (vegan) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp mild mustard
- salt to taste (I used 1 tspn)
- 1 handful peas (optional)
- Cook the potatoes until cooked through and hard-boil the eggs
- While those are cooking you can shell the peas if you are using them, and add those into the boiling water a few minutes before the potatoes are done
- Make the sauce by stirring the mayo and mustard together with the salt
- Slice the gherkins and chop the parsley and stir those into the sauce as well
- Peel the bouncy and hardboiled eggs and mash them with a fork. Or cut them into cubes with a knife
- Cut the cooked potatoes into cubes and add everything to a large bowl
- Stir everything together gently. It is important to mix gently because you want everything well mixed and coated, but the potatoes to hold their shape as much as possible. Otherwise you end up with a chunky mashed potato salad. Still good, but better when the potatoes still have their shape
- If you want to add in anything else (like sauerkraut, spinach leaves, chopped chives, tomatoes or whatever suits your fancy) add it in and taste. If you want to add more salt, go ahead and do so. Potatoes and eggs can take a lot of salt
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge until you need it. Enjoy!