Pork & Carrot Spring Rolls
- 400 grams roast pork cubed or shredded
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- Vietnamese style rice paper rolls enough for 15 rolls
- 1 cup cabbage finely shredded
- qty dipping sauce- soy or hoisin We sometimes make our own quick chilli vinaigrette with backyard chillies, vinegar, and salt, blended in a food processor.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Prepare wrapper – by laying out a clean damp tea towel on the bench. Place 1-3 wrappers on the tea towel and with a basting brush lightly wet the upper side with warm water (don't over wet or it will go soggy). In a few minutes the wrapper should be ready to use and easy to fold – keep preparing one or two wrappers in advance as you roll them so the next one is ready as you make them.
- Make roll – using a small amount of filling (2-3 tablespoons) place it near the end closest to you and flip the front part of the wrap over then envelope the sides and then carefully roll it up to form an even cylinder.
- Once all the rolls are done place them on a tray, uncovered. They need to dry out a little so they hold together while being deep fried. If you wish to steam the rolls then you can skip this step.
- Cooking – This can be done several ways: steaming, deep frying, shallow frying in a pan, and oven baking. Steaming – use a steamer and cook until soft. Deep frying – use a deep fryer and cook until light golden brown & crunchy. Shallow fry – in a pan with canola oil for about 10 minutes turning like cooking a sausage. Oven baking – 25 min in 180 ºC (356 ºF) or until done.
- Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce/s.