Hummus is great, especially when you make it yourself. You can add in extra veggie goodness to make it healthier and more nutritious- just like this carrot hummus!
Everyone has their own version and this is one I have perfected over the years to precisely suit my preferences. The beauty of this recipe is you can add or remove ingredients to make it just the way you like it.
I love this hummus with a salad, on toast, with roasted veggies or as a stuffing for avocado. But I love it most with veggie sticks. The combination of the crunch of the veggie sticks and the hummus is heaven!
This delectable dip will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week. If you’re anything like me, you’ll find yourself making a double batch every time… because it’s so more-ish that you’ll want to eat it every day!
I make a dinner out of this dip by adding lots of veggie sticks. When you choose to do that, this recipe will serve 1 to 2 people. If you choose to use it as an accompaniment or as a side, it serves at least 4 people.
So let’s get into the kitchen and make this carrot hummus!
- Food processor (fitted with the S blade)
- Cutting board
- Colander or sieve
- 250 grams Precooked chickpeas (Drained and rinsed)
- 2 Carrots (Chopped into pieces)
- 2 TBspn Tahini OR almond butter (I always use almond butter, because I like it better)
- 2 TBspn Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tspn Salt (Himalaya)
- 1 Big Tspn Cumin seeds (Whole)
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 50-60 ML Fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ Tspn Cayenne powder (Optional)
- ¼ Tspn Tumeric powder (Optional)
- Lettuce, tomatoes and carrots, cucumber and/or paprika (bell pepper) for the veggie sticks
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them with water until most of the foam goes away
- After washing the carrots, cut them into pieces and put in the food processor. Grind them up a bit and add in the rest of the ingredients
- Grind everything in the food processor to a fine consistency. You can add a little bit of water if you think it is too thick
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired
- Cut your favourite veggies into sticks. I used carrot and cucumber. But you can also use paprika (bell pepper) for example.Put some lettuce in a bowl, top it with the hummus and stick in the veggie sticks. Or fill an avocado with the hummus. Or put it with whatever you like.And just like that, you are already done! Enjoy